The Kitchi Gammi Club was formed on October 1, 1883. At its first meeting were sixteen original incorporators who have been described as “individualistic men of prominence, respect and leadership in the community.”
Throughout the years the Club has grown in both membership and vitality as a force in the community. Many prominent Americans and distinguished foreign visitors have been guests at the Club.
Originally in 1883 the Club occupied space on the fourth floor of the Grand Opera House in downtown Duluth. Following several moves to larger quarters the present clubhouse was designed and built from 1911 to 1913 and formally opened on January 1, 1914.
The site for the present clubhouse was chosen by the building committee for its convenient location on Superior Street and its unobstructed view of the lake. Chosen to design the clubhouse was Bertram Goodhue of the architectural firm of Cram, Goodhue and Ferguson of New York City.