Throughout the years the Club has grown in both membership and vitality as a force in the community. Many prominent Americans and distinguished foreign visitors have been guests at the Club.
Originally in 1883 the Club occupied space on the fourth floor of the Grand Opera House in downtown Duluth. Following several moves to larger quarters the present clubhouse was designed and built from 1911 to 1913 and formally opened on January 1, 1914.
The site for the present clubhouse was chosen by the building committee for its convenient location on Superior Street and its unobstructed view of the lake. Chosen to design the clubhouse was Bertram Goodhue of the architectural firm of Cram, Goodhue and Ferguson of New York City.
Nationally famous, this firm also counted among its designs the imposing structures of West Point Military Academy and numerous important churches along the East Coast of the United States. Besides the Kitchi Gammi Club Goodhue designed the St. Paul's Episcopal Church and the Hartley Building.
By any standard the Kitchi Gammi Club has been regarded as one of Duluth's true landmark structures. It has been described as one of the last buildings built which embodies so many ancient handicrafts and so much detailed handwork in metal, wood and stone.